A simile is a comparison using words such as “like” or “as”. A metaphor is a comparison that does not use such words–it simply states that one thing is another.
- In Frozen, Elsa sings: “I’ll rise like the break of dawn!”
- In Beauty and the Beast, Mrs. Potts sings of a “tale as old as time.”
- In One Hundred and One Dalmations, Cruella DaVille is “like a spider waiting for the kill.”
- In How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Grinch is “cuddly as a cactus, as charming as an eel.”
- In Snow White, Snow White sings that “life is just like a bright sunny day.”
- In Mulan, we hear “tranquil as the forest…”
- Miley Cyrus sings that “I came in like a wrecking ball…”
- Katy Perry sings, “baby, you’re a firework…”
- Miley Cyrus sings “there’s always going to be another mountain, there’s always going to be an uphill battle…”
- Adam Levine sings “My heart’s a stereo..”
- In Ratatouille, the main character says “My hope is a banquet.”
- In Cinderella, the characters sing that “a dream is a wish your heart makes….”.
- In “Red,” Taylor Swift sings, “Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street…”
- Justin Bieber sings in “Gravity, “You’re pulling me in like gravity…”